How To Wear Stripes: The Complete Guide May 02, 2017 18:49
Are Stripes Flattering or just plain fattering?
The question that has haunted women for centuries. Are stripes flattering or have they just gotten a bad wrap? Here is The Complete Guide to finding the perfect Stripe for you
Actually, let’s be real here… stripes are everywhere, every season, every year... especially in the spring and summer. This coveted print has been around for generations ...and isn't going anywhere...anytime soon.
Don't have FOMO of the stripe trend. Jump in and own it. We have created a few general guidelines to picking the right stripe for you. Style is all about wearing what you love and what makes you feel your absolute best. Find your stripe type here and never fear the stripe hype again.
It is a common misconception that horizontal stripes make you look bigger. There are so many factors that go into choosing the right stripe for you. It's all about the thickness, color & direction of the stripe. If you are choosing a horizontal stripe, keep it thin. A huge black stripe will make even the Gigi Hadid's of the world look bigger. So try to stay away from the big bird/ Jailbird look. If you choose a thicker horizontal stripe, keep the color palate soft and neutral. There is something to say for a good vertical striped top. It screams classy AF. Picture yourself...walking on the beach wearing a breezy sleeveless linen oatmeal and cream top. Its paired perfectly with your favorite pair of crisp white skinny jeans. You look oh so put together, naturally. Oliver, your english cream golden retriever walks next to you as you sip on a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc. You head back to your dreamy South Hampton mansion with sandy feet and sun kissed cheeks. When choosing a vertical stripe, there really are no rules or limitations. Vertical stripes are super elongating. They pair perfectly with a comfortable wedge and effortlessly tousled beach bunny hair.
Here’s our stripe how-to…
- Pear – For the girls that are fortunate enough to be gifted with the itty bitty waist and the round thing in your face, opt for a horizontal stripe
- Apple – apple bottom jeans...boots with the fur...opt for vertical or diagonal stripes.
- Hourglass – Curvaceous figures can pull off any pattern – stripes too. But to accentuate curves, wear horizontal stripes to add focus to what your mama gave you.
- Petite – Small women who want to maximize their height should opt for thin, vertical stripes to elongate the figure.
- Banana – For women that are ‘straight up and down’, without carrying weight in one area, horizontal stripes with varying width can look fabulous. If you’re wanting to create the illusion of more curves, opt for larger stripes.